Kids fishing games are well loved by younger kids. This post will present two games that uses the kid’s natural love for fishing games to teach ABCs and spelling.
The first game is designed to teach toddlers the ABC with emphasis on phonetics.
The second game is a spelling Game for reading kids K-3G .
There is also a bonus for this activity because the game can be prepared with the child and is a fun craft that will enhance the child enthusiasm to play the game. Another advantage of this activity is that if you have a toddler and a K-G3 children the activity prepared can be used for all.
Making the Fish
1. Print the fish
2. Use colorful foam sheets. Draw fish shapes using the template and cut them.
3. Use Sharpies to write letters on the fish.
4. Slip a paper clip on the top of each fish.
Make the Fishing Pole
1. Screw an eye hook into one end of a wooden dowel.
2. Tie a string onto the eye hook
3. Use a hot glue gun to glue a strong magnet to the bottom of the string.
(Regular magnets might not be strong enough to hold the fish but the magnets labeled ‘super strong’ work perfectly!)
Playing the letters Fishing Game
1. Spread the fish out on a flat surface with the letters facing down.
2. Use your fishing pole to catch a fish!
3. Find a word starting with that letter and you can keep the fish.
Note: Use all the letter the child already learned and as the child learns more letters just add more fish
Spelling Fishing Game:
1. Spread the fish out on a flat surface with the letters facing up.
2. Write a word
3. Use your fishing pole to catch the fish that spell the chosen word
As your child progress with spelling start omitting letters when you write words but say the word you are looking for. Omit letters that the child can easily indentify by the sound they make. For example say Mango and write _ango.
If you are following our letters of the week kitד you probably know that the next letter of the week is F. This is not a coincidence that I chose to share Fishing Game. This game is actually part of the letter F Kit that will be shared next week , we thought it will be a nice preview. Letter of the week activities will be shared weekly so if you are interested in more activities make sure you sign up for emails notifications.
I am happy to invite you and your child to a FREE ABC workshop from the comfort of your home. I will bring the free activities to you!! It will be based on ABC kits like this one, downloadable for FREE. We will enjoy activities, share ideas and share our lil one’s creations and most of all, have a lot of fun together..
What do you need to do join?
Just go to MissYuli’sCalss facebook page write in the comment of the first pinned post about the workshop : “Yes I want to join” (ok, other text will work just as well ) and you will be updated when the workshop starts. The workshop will begin when enough people are enroled so if you want more kits like this one and you want to join the workshop sign in now.
See you in the workshop